“Art is the place that produces a specific sociability” (Bourriaud, Relational Aesthetics, 2002, 16)
In "BRUSH-VOTES - CREATING THE CREATOR" performance series, Queens artist Sandra Vucicevic, invites random passers-by to mark their brush-strokes on canvas in order to create a group of collaborative paintings. Each participant is allowed to mark only one brush-stroke ("brush-vote"). Conceptually, there is a displacement between the artist and the audience in these performances, since the audience takes the role of the performer and becomes the collective creator of a group of paintings.
There were 462 participants in five performances which were held in Queens in 2013. All performances were free and open to the public. The EXHIBITION of the collective paintings created in these performances was held on October 26th, 2013 6-9PM at STUDIO 34 Gallery in Long Island City, NY. During this exhibition, the audience was, once again, invited to paint.
The pictures from the performances and the exhibition can be viewed at the following links:
1) May 16th 2013, 6-9PM at STUDIO 34 during LIC Arts Open; 34-01 38th Ave, 4th Floor, Long Island City, NY 11101.
2) July 20th, 2013, 1:30 - 4:30PM at Forest Hills Queens Library, 108-19 71st Avenue, Forest Hills, NY 11375
3) September 5th, 2013, 6-8PM at the Consulate General of the Republic of Serbia, 62W 45th St, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10036
4) September 22th, 2013, 11AM-2PM at the "Kew Gardens Community Arts Day"; Cinemas Park, Austin Street, off of Lefferets Boulevard (near Kew Gardens post office), NY 11415
5) September 28th, 2013, 2PM-5PM at the "Make It in America" Expo; Shops at Atlas Park, 80-00 Cooper Ave, Glendale, 11385
6) The EXHIBITION - October 26th, 2013, 6-9PM, STUDIO 34 Gallery, 34-01 38th Ave, 4th Floor, Long Island City, NY 11101
*This project was made possible (in part) by the Queens Council on the Arts with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.